Sunday, February 14, 2010

Practicum Day One

My first day at my practicum was better than I initially expected. I woke up extremely early in order to have plenty of time to dress in "appropriate attire" and of course, have my morning coffee before driving down the road to EHS. Once getting there, I was pushed through the doors by loads of students and somehow managed to walk into the doors leading straight to the office. Not knowing exactly what I was doing, I asked the attendant where and what I should do in order to make it to my class on time. Once signing in at the front desk, I maneuver my way through crowds of hormones to my newfound class.

I had no idea what to expect of my students and shadow-teacher but after meeting everyone I slowly began to relax! My shadow teacher is nothing short of the meaning "outgoing"--immediately going from introducing me to the students to having me take on my first one-on-one with one of the students she stressed having the most problems with.

This student is not in any way a problem child but just has not seemed to grow into her own yet. She speaks extremely quietly, reminding me of myself when I was younger (not high school age but still...) and had problems speaking up which I still do to this day when I am nervous. She also had problems communicating with me and myself could be to blame for this I was so nervous! For the rest of the class period we went over her history homework as I slowly worked through the questions with her that she was assigned to answer for each chapter and I believe I made some progress with her. When we first began she did not seem to quite understand her task and would simply answer the questions by copying different information from the book, as her answer to the question. When I explained that she needed to take the information and put it into her own words, as the second question came around, she said she understood me but still continued to copy. By the third question, she had managed to begin taking the information and translating it into her own words but the sentences were not making any sense grammatically. So, we began going back and I explained (or tried to!) to her the way some words should flow together and although it seemed simple to me, it did not appear simple to her. I do not know if this was due to having a stranger come in and try to teach her something she probably had not interest in so I am hoping that by the next time round we will have made even further progress.

Since this is an English as a Second Language class, the teacher does not have a set curriculum on what she teaches at least in the period that I am shadowing, so I was not able to look at any set curriculum for the class. However, when talking to my teacher we decided that I should stay for another period which is Alaska Studies in order for me to see more of a normal classroom setting. With that said, the classroom I work in is FULL of information about history. My teacher stressed that she had not taught anything regarding Alaska studies prior to this addition to the HS requirements, so she had tons and tons of books and pictures and different grammatical conjucations (English to Native words) relating to the history/culture of all sorts of ethnicities. I was amazed to see how some of the students adapted very well to English especially two students in particular whom were from an Asian background. Both of the students were in the study hall class for math and one of them at the time of my practicum was signing up for his FAFSA. I know how hard it was for me to fill out my FAFSA alone, so it was interesting to see another especially one from a different cultural background to go through the same experience.

I hope that during this next practicum I really get to see some teacher-student interaction!!

5 comments:

  1. It is my experience with Asian students, that they have had some exposure to English before, depending on where they are from. Korea, China and Japan have very extensive ESL programs in their schools starting minimally at the Junior High level. I love my ESL classroom, and I have really begun to think that I have definitely found my nitch with what I think I want to do when I grow up -

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very interesting I did not know it started as "young" as Junior High. I had a friend from Germany who said English was one of the required classes in order to graduate so he had a very well developed understanding of the English language. I guess I just have not been exposed to very many ESL students since we did not have too many in my school and especially not in the classes I was in. I am glad that you found your "nitch" though, that is exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting you have an ESL class. It would make sense that there might isn't necessarily a "set" curriculum due to all of the different levels of students. I think working with a student that needs a lot of help is difficult for them. They are not only trying to figure out what they are suppose to be getting out of the material, but who you are as well. On another note, I observed a "normal" class of AK studies, and it is clear the students can pick up and run with ideas much faster and easier. The student Jim by the way has started to talk more with classroom students in the hallways, which is a large step for him...

    ReplyDelete
  4. More than just previous exposure to English, do you think maybe their ease in learning has something to do with the culture? I have heard that some Asian cultures are more academically strict than America, so that might have given them an advantage.
    I am intrigued by the student was very quiet and having difficulty with her grammar. You said it did not match English grammar - do you think it had similarities to her home language?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure Kat. She seems to speak fluently when talking to peers and also to the teacher (although she does sometimes sound like she is five). The good thing about observing her though is she has a twin sister in the class who is much more upbeat and doing very well in her work which is the same as this student, so I get a wider view of how interaction may occur at home.

    I also got to observe and even interact one-on-one with one of the Hmong (?) students which I will be talking about in my next post. This time it was an English assignment!

    That's very good news David that Jim has began to interact more socially--I also observed their AK studies class and took lots of notes so watch for my next post!

    ReplyDelete